Sunday, September 7, 2014

Branducation: Moon Jelly Wetsuits

Pinterest strikes again. In my late-night trolling I came across Moon Jelly, a Japanese wetsuit brand that I am crushing on.

 There are actually more wetsuit brands out there then I would have guessed, (so brace yourselves for more Branducations). Until recently I thought wetsuit options were black or black. As my interest in the sport grows so does my desire to expand my wetsuit collection. It's nice to see big surf brands having more fun with prints and color, especially for we women. I REALLY love Moon Jelly's design aesthetic and color palette; it's a nice balance between classic and fun. I am a conservative, classic girl at heart and tend to shy away from all-over prints but I find the prints to be playful without being too kitschy or junior and the placement is tasteful; a polka dot sleeve here, a fuchsia ankle stripe there. I appreciate the coverage on the women's pieces. After this past birthday I think it's safe to say I'm no longer in my, "younger twenties" but I'd still like to look cute and feminine without offending the sea-life.
Love! Want! Moon Jelly SS 13/14

Sadly Moon Jelly is not available for purchase in the US or anywhere online for that matter. Their wetsuits are only available in Japan. But where there's a will there's a way. If you happen to find yourself road-tripping around Japan's coast stop by one of 24 surf shops that carry the brand. Be ready to make it rain though because the suits aren't cheap. I did a quick Yen-to-Dollar conversion and a full suit runs about $745 - $895. Considering that some of the most technologically innovative and high-quality wetsuits are coming from Japanese brands, I think it's safe to say it's worth the investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment